Friday, May 28, 2010

Half Baked

So Max and I have been steadily running out of food for the past week or so. We're in between pay cycles, our rent is due on the 1st and we have little in the way of healthy options. Now, we're not starving, we have Ramen, and pasta, and as of last night we finally have SALAD.
To cope with the lack of variety in our diets I baked last week and yesterday. My first attempt was a low-fat vegan spice cupcake with buttercream frosting. Half of that worked really well. That buttercream frosting was the best frosting I've ever made. It took a 1/2c. of Earth Balance, a bag of powdered sugar, some milk and some vanilla and POOF! (no really, "poof"...I make a mess when mixing powdery things): DELICIOUS FROSTING. Now for the cupcake...it wasn't BAD per se...but it wasn't a cupcake. More like a sweet muffin. I mean, the frosting definitely helped...I had no trouble eating them. Max however, not a fan. I think the issue is, I bought some wheat flour a while back, but not the wheat PASTRY flour I had meant to buy. Everything is just coming out really dense and heavy. So hopefully I can get that problem solved.
Now yesterday, I had a craving for soft, NYC pretzels. You know, those 400 calorie twists the size of my face that are full of delicious simple carbohydrates? THOSE. So I whipped up a batch that was fairly easy from Cooks.com. I used half wheat flour and half white so I could claim they were kind of healthy, and then some yeast, salt, oil, agave and maybe some milk? Well, some kneading, rolling, twisting and baking later I had some great pretzels on my hands. Salty, soft, warm...too good. I don't want to know the calorie count. I've already eaten half the batch. WHOOPS!
Oh well. On a bright note, I completed my first work-out challenge of the summer yesterday: 30 minutes of interval training on real stairs. This, to me, is a huge accomplishment for FL seeing as how even at 7:00 in the morning when I did it the humidity is still at around 80%. Now, I did feel like I was going to die...but I pushed through it so YAY ME. Tomorrow I think I'll run to Merrick Park from my apartment and look at dresses for my cousin's wedding, seeing as how that's the bulk of my weight-loss motivation for the summer. That's about 2 miles each way. You'll probably find my body on the side of Ponce. LET'S DO THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment